Archive for September, 2008

Saturday 6th September 2008

Friday, September 12th, 2008

Date: Saturday 6th September 2008

Wind: ENE 2-3
Visibility: Good
Sea state: Rough
Time of launch: 1830hrs
Time of return: 0200hrs (Sunday)

Boats launched: X-Boat

FOR PHOTOS CLICK HERE

Reason: The Environment Agency, working with Northumbria Fire Brigade, requested assistance from the RNLI to assist with mass evacuations in the Morpeth area that had been hit badly by floods. Three crew members, along with the Deputy Divisional Engineer (North) left Amble with the stations’ X-Boat, to meet up in Morpeth with crews from Blyth, Newbiggin and Redcar. Blyth ILB as well as two RNLI Arancias and a Training D-Class had also been transported to Morpeth.
Under direction from the Training Divisional Inspector (North), who was in the command centre with the Fire Brigade, RNLI teams were tasked to assist with evacuating residents, as well as ferrying service engineers (gas and electric) to affected areas.
With all homes affected having been evacuated and the flood waters receeding, the RNLI crews were released to return home at 0200hrs, but were told to expect a call to return if conditions worsened again. Amble crew returned back to station at 0245hrs.

Saturday 6th September 2008

Friday, September 12th, 2008

Date: Saturday 6th September 2008

Wind: ENE 4-5
Visibility: Good
Sea state: Rough
Time of launch: 1830hrs
Time of return: 2000hrs

Boats launched: ILB

Reason: Humber Coastguard requested the launch of Amble ILB after receiving requests for assistance to evacuate residents, in the Warkworth area, whose homes had been affected by the flood water. Amble ILB was able to get up river, but once on scene, was unable to offer much assistance due to the fast flowing river, and the fact most homes had only a little amount of water in and so land emergency services were able to evacuate all residents safely. With increasing worries about safety in the swollen river, it was decided that the ILB would return to station by road where it was cleaned, re-fuelled and made ready for service once more.

Saturday 6th September 2008

Friday, September 12th, 2008

Date: Saturday 6th September 2008

Wind: ENE 4-5
Visibility: Poor due to heavy rain
Sea state: Rough
Time of launch: 1430hrs
Time of return: 1600hrs

Boats launched: ILB (ALB on stand-by at station)

FOR PHOTOS CLICK HERE

Reason: Humber Coastguard requested the immediate launch of Amble ILB after receiving reports that a boat owner was trying to reach his vessel, in the middle of the fast flowing river, up stream from the boathouse, that was in flood due to the heavy rain from the previous 48hrs. With all the debris in the river and the rate of flow of the flood water, Amble ALB was put on stand-by at the station in case anything was to happpen to the ILB or any of her crew. The ILB was quickly on scene and established the man had managed to get to his vessel but, after making sure it was secure, was unable to reach the shore again. As the ILB crew were talking to the gentleman, a yacht and a mooring barge broke loose from their moorings in the river and became entangled in those of another yacht. With the man safely on his coble, the ILB crew tried their best to secure lines to the vessels that had broken loose to stop them causing any further damage. With this done, the man was taken back to the Lifeboat Station where the ILB was recovered and made ready for service once more.

Saturday 6th September 2008

Friday, September 12th, 2008

Date: Saturday 6th September 2008

Wind: ENE 4-5
Visibility: Poor due to heavy rain
Sea state: Rough
Time of launch: 0530hrs
Time of return: 0545hrs

Boats launched: Launch Cancelled

Reason: Humber Coastguard became increasingly concerened after receiveing several calls regarding a caravan site 30 miles inland from Amble which was suffering extreme flooding. They requested that Amble provide some crew and the ILB to travel by road and assist with any evacuations at the site. However as the crew assembled and with other units already on scene, it was decided to cancel the request, as, with deteriorating weather conditions at Amble, it became apparent the Lifeboats may be needed on station.